Balfour Beatty has kicked off its One Second, One Choice Construction Safety Week 2019 campaign as part of its never-ending Zero Harm commitment to anyone coming into contact with its work. Balfour Beatty joins over 80 construction firms from across the United States and Canada with the collective mission of promoting the industry’s dedication to eliminating injury, and fostering a shared culture of care, concern and the belief that every week must be Safety Week.
As a long-time Safety Week member and supporter of the week-long campaign that runs May 6-10, Balfour Beatty teams and trade partners across the country are taking a stand for safety and reflecting on what’s most important – going home safe to their families every day. Themed One Second, One Choice, Balfour Beatty’s 2019 campaign features videos of employees and trade partners sharing their real-life safety stories, in addition to other resources.
“Our One Second, One Choice Safety Week campaign provides an important reminder to everyone that split-second decisions can change lives forever,” said Leon Blondin, chief executive officer of Balfour Beatty’s U.S. buildings operations. “We’re proud to join the construction industry every year to support Safety Week because we all share a responsibility to each other and our families to do everything possible to ensure everyone goes home safely every day.”
“As we reflect on Safety Week, we must continue encouraging our teams and trade partners not only to make the best choices for their own personal safety, but also to always be on the lookout for each other,” said John Rempe, PE, president and chief executive officer of Balfour Beatty’s U.S. civil operations. “Saving someone from injury or even potentially life threatening situations doesn’t have to be a dramatically heroic effort. It could be as simple as tapping a fellow worker on the shoulder to point out a risk that could save a life.”
Balfour Beatty’s 2019 One Second, One Choice Campaign:
- 2019 Safety Week interactive website
- Day One: “A good pre-task plan huddle can save a life” video. Project team members discuss the right and wrong ways to conduct pre-task plan huddles.
- Day Two: “There are no do-overs” poster graphically illustrates five different split-second, decision-making scenarios the can result in vastly different outcomes.
- Day Three: David Alejandro Guerrero’s video interview shares a real-life story about how making the right choice with his daily safety preparation saved his life when seconds counted.
- Day Four: “Forgetting to be afraid” feature article discusses how “safety creep” can occur when jobsite leaders allow teams to tolerate incremental dangers.
- Day Five: “Zero Harm’s 10-year anniversary” feature article highlights the anniversary of Balfour Beatty’s never-ending commitment to Zero Harm.
Safety Week provides an opportunity for Balfour Beatty to thank its workforce and trade partners for supporting safety year-round and to recognize their commitment to remaining injury free. Throughout the week, Balfour Beatty teams across the country will recognize safety heroes, hold safety stand-downs, conduct safety trainings, and reflect on what Once Second, One Choice means to them.
About Balfour Beatty
Balfour Beatty is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the United States. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, the company is part of Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY), a leading international infrastructure group that provides innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest contractors, Balfour Beatty is the No. 6 Domestic Building Contractor in the United States as ranked by Engineering News-Record. To learn more, visit www.balfourbeattyus.com.