NEEDHAM, Mass., May 10, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TripAdvisor®, the travel planning and booking site, today revealed its 2016 Summer Vacation Value Report, revealing the top 10 destinations for U.S. travelers this summer based on booking interest, along with the average one-week vacation costs for hotels, airfare, meals and tours1. The seasonal report helps travelers discover savings at popular travel destinations by highlighting the least expensive week to visit, highly-rated value hotels and popular attractions.
“A recent TripAdvisor survey found that 88 percent of U.S. respondents are planning to vacation this summer, up six percent from those who took a summer trip last year,” said Brooke Ferencsik, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor. “According to booking interest on TripAdvisor, the top 10 destinations for U.S. travelers this summer are a split between domestic and international destinations, and those planning summer trips can save 16 percent on average when traveling to these popular spots during the least expensive summer week compared to the peak.”
Top 10 Summer Destinations and Average Summer Costs
|Avg. Cost of a |
|1.||Las Vegas, Nevada||$||135||$||384||$||31||$||122||$||2,224|
|4.||Punta Cana, Dominican Republic||$||246||$||600||$||27||$||103||$||3,098|
|5.||Myrtle Beach, South Carolina||$||210||$||376||$||18||$||37||$||2,304|
|6.||New York City, New York||$||306||$||372||$||32||$||73||$||3,341|
|10.||Playa del Carmen, Mexico||$||178||$||513||$||18||$||121||$||2,374|
Summer Vacation Value Itineraries
With six of the ten least expensive summer weeks starting on August 22, late August proves to be a budget-friendly time to visit these popular destinations. This is consistent with the 2015 report.
1. Las Vegas, Nevada
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 15 - 21: $2,050 (13% below summer peak2)
- Value Hotel: The Carriage House – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $127
- Top Attraction: Blue Man Group – Tickets start at $90 per person
2. Cancun, Mexico
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 22 - 28: $2,222 (16% below summer peak)
- Value Hotel: Hotel & Suites Nader – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $50
- Top Attraction: Mayan Ruins of Tulum – Tours start at $50 per person
3. Orlando, Florida
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 22 - 28: $1,733 (13% below summer peak)
- Value Hotel: Drury Inn & Suites Orlando – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $138
- Top Attraction: Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex – Tickets start at $53 per person
4. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 22 - 28: $2,848 (10% below summer peak)
- Value Hotel: Alsol Luxury Village – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $204
- Top Attraction: HorsePlay Punta Cana – Tours start at $84 per person
5. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 22 - 28: $1,812 (26% below summer peak)
- Value Hotel: Dayton House Resort – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $176
- Top Attraction: Legends In Concert – Tickets start at $40 per person
6. New York City, New York
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: June 27 - July 3: $3,092 (10% below summer peak)
- Value Hotel: NobleDEN Hotel – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $317
- Top Attraction: Top of the Rock Observation Deck – Tickets start at $30 per person
7. London, England
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 1 - 7: $3,788 (10% below summer peak)
- Value Hotel: Luna & Simone Hotel – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $206
- Top Attraction: The London Eye – Skip-the-line tickets start at $45 per person
8. Destin, Florida
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 22 - 28: $2,320 (25% below summer peak)
- Value Hotel: Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $219
- Top Attraction: Yellow Sailboat Sailing Tours – Tours start at $250 per group
9. Paris, France
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 8 - 14: $3,111 (25% below summer peak)
- Value Hotel: Grand Hotel Francais – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $177
- Top Attraction: City Segway Tours - Paris – Tours start at $68 per person
10. Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 22 - 28: $2,212 (10% below summer peak)
- Value Hotel: La Pasion Hotel Boutique – Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average nightly summer rate of $118
- Top Attraction: Cenote Chaak Tun – Tours start at $30 per person
TripAdvisor is the world’s largest travel site*. Travelers can read millions of reviews and opinions and book their next trip at: www.tripadvisor.com.
Notes to Editors
1Top destinations for U.S. travelers during the upcoming summer travel period (June 1, 2016 – August 31, 2016) according to TripAdvisor site search and booking interest data. All hotel and airfare prices are based on trips departing and returning between June 1 and August 31, 2016.
Average costs to visit the top summer travel destinations are representative of a one-week trip including a seven night hotel stay, roundtrip airfare from the domestic U.S., three restaurant meals per day and two tours.
Avg. Nightly Hotel Rate includes the average cost of a seven night stay in a hotel bookable on TripAdvisor, aggregated from hundreds of booking partners, including online travel agencies and direct hotel suppliers.
Avg. Airfare includes the average domestic round-trip airfare to each destination based on searches conducted through TripAdvisor Flights.
Avg. Meal Price includes the average meal cost per person, excluding drinks, tax and tip. Prices are sourced from restaurants listed on TripAdvisor.
Avg. Tour Price includes the average tour cost per person, excluding tax and tip. Prices are sourced from tours listed on TripAdvisor.
2Percent savings below summer peak determined by comparing the cost of the least and most expensive summer weeks to visit each destination.
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and book the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers advice from millions of travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools that check hundreds of websites to find the best hotel prices. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 340 million unique monthly visitors**, and 350 million reviews and opinions covering 6.5 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 48 markets worldwide.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRIP), through its subsidiaries, manages and operates websites under 24 other travel media brands: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.iens.nl, www.besttables.com and www.dimmi.com.au), www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.housetrip.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.tripbod.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, www.viator.com, and www.virtualtourist.com.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, February 2016
**Source: TripAdvisor log files, Q1 2016
CONTACT: Ellie Botelho firstname.lastname@example.org (781) 800-5542